I don't even know where to begin. I really don't know where to go even from here now that I have begun, and I certianly don't know where to end.
One thing I do know, however, is that I'm stinkin' tired of looking at the "$3.50 a Box" entry from last time.
Cartoons have always seemed unproductive to me. Even as a kid, I couldn't tolerate a cartoon too long. I used to wonder why Popeye wasn't miserable with his one eye, why Tom never caught Jerry and if Pink Panther would EVER talk. I'd get bored with cartoons because I couldn't find out the answers to my questions and I'd then find other things to do. I especially disliked the "ThThThThaaaat's all folks!" at the end.
Those are mainly the reasons that it surprised me to like the movie "Up" so much. I actually really liked about a third of it and slept through the rest. (I'll go ahead and step aside for that "Mother of the Year" award.)
Much of what I liked about the movie didn't even have words. Isn't that the case often times? What isn't said is what SCREAMS at you? It is as if you stop talking or thinking about what your going to say long enough to let conversation go on the journey it's intended to, you'll see things far more clearly in future interactions. I'd be willing to bet that you could get to know someone pretty well by just watching them for a while, it might make future conversations have more purpose because you actually have things you want to know based on observation than based on what they've just said.
You'd just have to watch that movie to see how the couple interacts. The main character married this girl who had huge hopes for her future and he worked his whole life trying to meet those goals, but always seemed to lose ground because of the "life" happening around them. At the end of the couple's time together, he has become a grouchy old man. Seeing the grouchy old man without having seen all that led up to his grouchy demeanor, would ordinarily make you just write his grouchy tail off, but because you know what's led up to it, you have compassion for him and want well for him. You watch him with interest. Have you ever watched someone with interest?
Growing up around my mom's parents always provided for some great entertainment. A typical afternoon at their house in the summer would be Pappaw bringing in vegetables from his garden and everyone shucking corn or "stringin' beans" to get them ready to be canned for winter. Then, it'd get quiet as we watched cars pass and all the sudden, one of the two, Granny or PawPaw, would say, "You know, I been a settin' here a-studyin'..........." and you knew whatever epiphany they'd had was a good one that completely changed the direction of things.
Do we, as a hurried society, ever just "set and study"?
No comments:
Post a Comment