Thursday, April 17, 2008

Reasons To Eat At Home

Last night, we went to eat at Ichiban in East Brainerd. In case you don't know, we have to eat Chinese at PF Chang's or Japanese from Typhoon or Ichiban at least once a week. It's way cheaper than the therapy we probably need. When it was time to leave, Libby was getting restless. I took her to see the fish in the lobby while Steven paid the check. There were some people sitting with presents. I tried to detour Libby's mind from the presents because I knew she would start asking them if they brought her one, if she could open it, etc. The elderly couple didn't look like they were up for her million plus one more questions. We talked about counting the fish. We counted them in English and Spanish. We talked about the shapes we saw in the room. Finally, she noticed the tiles on the floor were square----and so were "do-es people's presents". I said, "yes, the tile is square." The presents were rectangular. The math teacher in me was going to try to get her to describe the presents so that she could begin to differentiate between square and rectangle. So, I said: "Libby, what do they look like?" She said, "they're old." I said, "noooo, presents aren't old. Presents are new." I was trying to save myself the embarrassment of what had just happend. She replied, "Yes, presents are new, but 'do-es' peoples are old." About that time Steven walked up and saw that the couple's mouths were kind of open. I was pale with embarrassment and Libby was fixing to say more. We eased out the door. That's another good reason to just eat at home.
The short clip below is a Valentine song we didn't know she knew until way after Valentine's. She learned it from "Mr. Jackie, her music teacher at school." She started singing it around Easter. That's just Libby....she does everything in her time.

11 comments:

Mrs. Southern said...

Libby should be on American Idol, she has quite the vocals!

Cyndi Lou said...

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! Libby sang GREAT! Yes, eating at home has MANY benefits when your children are young and you don't want to hurt them in public! :)

Your story cracked me UP! BTW, we LOVE P.F. Chang's but we only eat there like twice a year or something. It is awesome!!

Love ya,

Cyndi

Brad and Shana said...

Once again, you make me laugh!!!

Thanks

Shana

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Wow, what a singer you have...gotta love Mr. Jackie. I follow him from preschool to preschool. He cracks me up. The kids really love him.

GUESS what? I have an adorable nap mat ready for one adorable singing star. I'll call you tomorrow AM to see when I can get it to you.

hugs,
Terri

Maddie said...

You make me laugh! I sooo love that about you!!!

Brad and Shana said...

Well, I just received payback.....

Tonight, we were at Tijuana's (our weekly go-to meal) and SK needed to go potty, so I took her. When she finished I wiped her as usual and pulled her pants up. As soon as her pants were up she began to protest that she wanted to wipe herself. But she was DENIED because we were in a public restroom and we try to spend as absolute little time in there as possible. So, she commences to crying, but I settle her some so we can walk out and go back to our seats. Well, on the way back I guess she got worked up again and started crying. She wasn't holding anything back and we were getting some stares...I was trying to hush her, when she said, very loudly....."mom, you know I can wipe myself....you KNOW I can wipe myself, MOM you know I can wipe myself". She had been completely offended that she didn't get to exercise her independance and I was completely mortified.......To make it even funnier, we were stopped by 2 ladies dining behind us as we were leaving, saying how pitiful she looked and how cute she was, etc. ...........nice.

Yep, sometimes you should just eat in. A PB&J for the 5th day in a row is looking better, and better.

Shana

Cyndi Lou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cyndi Lou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cyndi Lou said...

Oh, Meleia and Shana....

You BOTH crack me up! I laughed out loud at Shana's comment about paybacks and Meleia, last night we were watching a movie together that was NOT the least bit funny and Joe starts laughing out loud! I can tell he is very tickled! I asked him what was so funny and he was reading your 'dining out' post and he lost it on the 'do-es people are old!' proclamation! He was 'belly-laughing' only because we can relate and he could see how mortifying that probably was for you!

Oh, don't you just love how REAL LIFE is truly so much funnier than fiction, especially when it happens to your friends!!

Again, I say, you BOTH crack me up!!!

Cyndi

Tamara Chastain said...

I can totally relate. There has been many time when I wished we would've just ate in.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to leave another deer in your yard, so you'll update this! Another deer??? :) You have tons going on, I never get to talk to you because you're working out, giving baths, busy, busy, busy. What's going on at school--you never told me anything about the 1st graders you were with yesterday. I have nothing to do on my break if you don't update this. Love ya, Sanna