Sunday, October 19, 2008

And The Relatives Came

"In a rainbow-colored station wagon that smelled like a real car, the relatives came. When they arrived, they hugged and hugged from the kitchen to the front room. All summer they tended the garden and ate up all the strawberries and melons. They plucked banjos and strummed guitars. When they finally had to leave, they were sad, but not for long. They all knew they would be together next summer. "



I love that book. It's a children's book by Cynthia Rylant and I've always been able to identify with the family coming to stay for a while. Families don't come to visit anymore. Why you have to practically schedule an appointment to let your kid see a grandparent, however, it wasn't always that way. Used to, no matter how far away relatives lived, they took the time to pile up in the car and come stay awhile. I just love that book. It reminds me of fond times when relatives came.



This weekend, we had an 83rd birthday for our Nanny Ree. She is my dad's mom and lives every second of her life to the fullest. Appetizers were: apples with caramel, cheese and crackers, or chips and salsa. The main dish was: Easy Brunswick Stew and Cornbread Dessert: duh, birthday cake! We had the party at my house, And The Relatives Came:

This is Rich and Nanny Ree

Nanny Ree checking out the cake.


Rodney, in the background doing the tacky and hiding his face, Kaylee and Nanny Ree chatting.

Nanny Ree preparing to blow out the candles.

A lady that works with Steven makes delicious cakes. It was only $35 and it was a big cake.

Anna will probably have better pics on her site. I hardly got any pics as I was running around everywhere. Happy 83rd to Nanny Ree!






4 comments:

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Nanny Ree looks awesome for the young age of 83!!! I bet you guys have many more parties for her.
Terri

Maddie said...

What a fabulous day...one that will be remembered for years! Love that book too!

Brad and Shana said...

Looks like y'all had a fun time. Cherish those times with Nanny Ree, what a blessing to have such an able-bodied grandparent.

You'll have to share your cake ladies name....after the great cake debacle of 08 (bryce's mis-ordered monstrosity) I need some cake help!

Mrs. Southern said...

We should have those get togethers more often, Nanny ree needs to turn 83 everyday! I finally put up some pictures.