Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ghetto FABulous

It's been a couple of weeks since I've updated the blog! It's always on my "Would Like To Get Done" mile long mental list, but I just don't sit down long enough to do it.

I love December. It's like finishing a big, long to-do list....just in the knick of time. This season has been especially meaningful because I've really wanted to do everything under the sun to really celebrate it.

We've taken Libby to see lots of lights, decorated our own house more than usual, gone to the "Tour of Homes", a band concert, a Christmas Cafe', had people over for dinner, office parties, Breakfast with Santa, and the list goes on. The only thing I haven't gotten to do that I really wanted to do, is to see "Rock City's City of Lights". Maybe next year, right?


After my sister and I went on the "Tour of Homes", we decided that there should be a "Middle Class Tour" along the lines of "Ghetto Fabulous" where you've done the decorating yourself, you're there to tell about it, you're still working outside the home on a daily basis, and you have some rooms that aren't viewable! Here's our house during the holidays, compared to the "Tour Homes", I think it's ghetto fabulous! :)

This is our house. I'd love to put more lights, but don't want to buy a ladder to do it.


This bookshelf just has winter items and things people have given or made us during past Christmases.


I took this picture of the Christmas card holder so early in the season, that there weren't many cards. Thanks to Anna, her card was first.
Our tree is done in candy and minature winter items.You gotta love the ghetto fabulous snowman that's turned around to show his "made in China" sticker". Straight outta Gatlinburg that snowman is!Our Dept Fifty Something tree. We have it in our kitchen. It's ornments are miniature and so cute.

I need thicker garland, but when you're ghetto fabulous, you just use what 'choo got.


These are a few of our favorite ornaments that I hung from the dining room light. I don't like the style of the light, so why not just jazz it up with some ornaments?


Yes, Libby....he's real.....have you been good?

This was the one of the funniest parenting moments ever. We went to "Breakfast with Santa" for Libby. For the past couple of years, she's gone into full meltdown mode and wouldn't have anything to do with Santa. This year, she was in a state of shock. She could hardly talk. If she moved her head to look at him, she moved it very slowly. She was nervous and just kept fidgeting with the candy cane he gave her. When he'd ask her a question, she'd answer very softly. It was funny.



The Tour of Homes

Me, Sanna


Sanna, Me




This is a pic from a child's room from "The Farm". This was the largest house we toured.

This is the parent's bathroom from "The Farm" house.



This is an unusual picture, I know. I also don't know why they didn't close the lid before the tour started, however....it was cool because in the girl's bathroom, she had decapodged (sp?) pics. The rest of her bathroom had more square footage than my first apartment.

I have no idea why I didn't take my coat off for this picture, but I didn't. This was taken as we were leaving "The Farm" house. The weird thing was they made you put on shoe covers to take the tour. TACKY It's a fundraiser tour. If you are wealthy enough to put your house on this tour, you are wealthy enough to have someone clean up the germs or mess. TACKY


This was the home theater in the germaphobe's house. Very cool. (By the way, Steven likes how the curtains around the theater screen are already embroidered with a giant "B" so that we won't have to change that when we move in...can't blame him for dreaming, right?)


This is a picture from, though not the biggest, but defintely, the "bestest". A house on Mt. Sinai was on the tour and it was very welcoming and beautifully decorated for the holidays. The views were breathtaking. The driveway was tricky. Smallest world ever, though, my friend Mandy is cousin's with the daughter-in-law of the residents. Draw a chart to connect that one out, but I made the connection very quickly! :) I want my friend Terri to make me covers for my dining room chairs similar to these. I loved the initals on things.

Us on the Porch of the great Sinai house....I just loved the welcoming feel to the house. Not to mention all the great decor.

Great Room of the welcoming Sinai house
That's all folks...................










6 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

Oooh, those 'tour' homes were pretty, but I think I like yours best. You've done a great job. We're blessed to get to look at your house everyday. Sorry about ours, we haven't even gotten the wreaths on this year- and one of our window candles got broken and I feel silly having one out, so we don't turn it on. This year, we've just had too many obstacles to get really well decorated. Heck, I'd be happy if my house was clean and clutter free. - Maybe that'll be my Christmas miracle.

Thanks for showing us your house, you should do the BooMama's tour of Homes.

Carleigh said...

What? Ghetto Fabulous? I think not. Your home is GORGEOUS! :)

And btw, you would hate living in Asia where the culture is that you take off your shoes before entering anyone's house and some other establishments. haha.

Maddie said...

Love the ghetto fabulous look! That's right up my alley. The others were pretty, but I'm partial to "real" and "attainable". :)

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Toooo funny, I was looking at the picture trying to figure out how they put those on the chair and what I'd have to do to make them...well, alas, I scrolled down to see that you were thinking the same thing. We'll have to work on that like months after Christmas...I'm t-i-r-e-d!!!!!

Mrs. Southern said...

Those houses are so pretty but I really like the ghetto fabulous, makes me feel more at home! :) I'm looking forward to seeing your house over the holidays, you always have the cutest stuff decorated!

Mrs. Southern said...

I just turned you in to the blogging po-po.