Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What Happens Here, Stays Here

Obviously, that title is a total joke. What happens here SO does not stay here. Let me just say that today, I am going to gripe and solicit advice. I'm putting it all out there.
When I was younger, my Nanny Ree would tell me not to complain, to "be thankful". If I was having trouble getting my hair to look like I wanted it to and whined about it, she'd say, "be thankful, you could be bald." That used to make me so ill. It's not that it's not true, but for crying out loud, in this pollyanna world, can't we just b*tch every once in a while? Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for so much. If you don't want to hear me gripe, just don't read this one. I'm okay with that. It's really more about me just getting it out than actually thinking there could be a solution. I imagine this era to be a tunnel with a light at the end, however the light is probably just a lighted sign that reads, "Out of Order". You can see I didn't have my dose of optimism this morning.
First, my dear sweet child is in a stage of repeatedly asking questions......especially "why" questions that just don't even warrant an answer short of a possible thesis for someone's graduate school paper. It's driving me batty. I need headphones with white noise. For about the first 500 questions, I tried to answer them. I tried to "sieze that teachable moment" and not just say, "because it does". Now, I am to the point of just trying to tune it out over my audible cry for peace. If she isn't asking why questions, she's just repeating questions OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER................................................
Secondly, the whining. Dear heavens, please, please give me relief from the high maintenance whining. My stars. Does it ever end? It's absurd. I can't even watch "Jon & Kate Plus 8" anymore because their kids whine and I feel like I get enough of that at home.
There are literally points of time at home that I think if I could just run, I would. I mean literally Forrest Gump run until I was completely unkempt, but away. It's absolutely wearing me thin. For those of you that have kids, do you have these same issues? Do they end? What do you do for relief? I love my kid to pieces, for some reason, however, her latest stage is tiring.

4 comments:

The Wild World of Richmond said...

Girlfriend...age old answer to the question "why?" Because...and that's why! Just because! Sometimes...I add.. because I said so and that's enough.
Yeah...it's tiring. It does seem to let up at about age 8 or 9...heehee...I'm really encouraging you, aren't I?
The whining....jeez...when you figure that one out, please let me know. I have imitated them and said we don't ask that way...or we don't talk that way. Please, use your grown up voice. I'm not saying it works, but it's my attempt.
lots of hugs and kisses and mental rest for you tonight. I think you deserve a spa day. Be sure and tell Steven I said that. You'll handle questions and whining much better after that.

Mrs. Southern said...

You crack me up! I know it's not funny but I can remember Phil when he was little asking, "But WHY?", "Why do I have to eat all of Nanny Ree's food?", "Why do I have to go to school?" You have so much patience and I know you'll figure it all out! Just start asking ,"WHY?" back to her and may be she'll get the point!=)

The Bryants said...

Once again, I am discouraged that the stage my 22 month old is in will continue for years!
My response will be, when she's old enough to understand, is "Mary Kahlen, why do you think it's that way?" Like I said, it's a future plan, who knows if it will work. I do know that the other day, from the first Newnan exit until we reached Centennial Park, my child said "Mommy, Mommy, Plane?" Honestly, I thought about hanging my head out of the window like a dog. To the surprise of my husband, I remained calm and patient and just responded with "yes, baby, there's the plane" or "the plane has gone bye-bye."
As far as the whining...it's here and crazy. I look at her with "my look" until she stops. I'm praying the entire time that I will not nut up!
Remember, that which does not kill us will make us stronger. :)

Cyndi Lou said...

Let's see... encouragement is *usually* my strong suit, but I am not sure I have much encouragement today...

The questions... I usually like to answer a question with a question if I can't answer them anymore, or if I simply choose not to answer them due to the fact that they have asked like 20 in a row and I am like 'Come on, give me a break here!'. They really look at me stumped when I do this- answer a question with a question. It cracks me up! It is a fun game for us to play. Now, I won't lie... it wears me out, too. But, it breaks up the monotony of the 'Why?' questions.

The whining... girl, we don't do whining well at our house. I tell them that I am ignoring them when they talk like that or that 'we don't get what we want when we talk that way' or if the whining continues after multiple warnings, a spanking ensues! (Call DEFACS!) Then, there is much louder whining/crying/gnashing of teeth momentarily, but that subsides quickly and then there is silence, hence no whining..... :) (Did I tell you I don't do whining? I have a very low tolerance for the stuff.)

So, that is the encouragement I offer to you today my dear friend. Not very encouraging, huh? But, I try to help when I can....

Thanks for keeping it real!!

Cyndi