In my sophomore year of high school, we had to give speeches. One topic we were to prepare and present a speech for was "Pet Peeves". Mine, at that time, was the penny. I felt that it could be eliminated and everything could just work from the nickle on up. Another guy reported on his pet peeve he'd inherited from his aunt which were the two pieces of bread at each end of a loaf of bread. He wanted them gone and found them to be annoying. He did however provide a creative solution in that he had a sibling that love that piece of bread and so he'd decided that his solution was located in the four walls of his very own home. Another guy, who was too cool for school and probably too old for high school, said his pet peeve was guys who flirted with his girlfriend. He got so mad when he was talking about it that he cussed and the teacher made him sit down. I think he ended with something cheesey from his seat in the back of the room like, "Don't Get Down With O.P.P.". Since those dear old days of censorship and miniscule pet peeves, I found I have one lurking in my own mind greater in value than the penny from seventeen years ago. I'll start from my now thought and back up to my new thought. Bear with me. The path begins in my very own car. Go ahead, hop in the passenger's side. Let me take you through it and to it.
Oh, hasn't the weather been lovely? Driving over Dug Gap Mountain every morning provides me with a lot of "mindless" time. Funny as it seems, at one time, I really missed having "mindless" time. That would have been the time when I lived about 3 minutes from my job. Now, I'm about 15 or 20 minutes from my job. That time is partially because of the "Red Light Parade". In Dalton, that means that you are on a five lane road with a stop light that turns red before you get to it--and that happens every 100 yards or so. Your destination that was only about ten miles away turns into a twenty minute stop and go scenerio. So, that mindless time is what I define as time where I can't multitask, a time where I don't have time to be mindless, but am forced to. On that journey around the curves, up the various inclines, through patches of fog I've come to know better than my way to the bathroom from my bed in the deep night.......I think about random things that I wouldn't even call thinking about, but just noticing the whim of a thought. Yesterday's little nuance of a thought was about this picture that I chose, purchased and have had hanging in our guestroom for a couple of years now. See it. It's right there, the colorful little thing on the plain old wall. My guest room gets no attention.
As I topped the mountain, I almost audibly questioned myself, "WHAT IN THE HECK IS THAT DOING HANGING IN A HOUSE I LIVE IN?" I then emphatically told myself that the thing hanging in that room went against everything I was really about. It states nothing I believe. The colors are okay. I really like the shiney glitter, curvey writing, and mix of fonts, but THE WORDS....oh, no. Oh, my, oh, no. They don't define anything about me. The words aren't even something I aspire for. Here's the picture upclose and personal:
Now, if they describe you to a tee than that's great. I'm glad for you. Honestly, your personality type would be exactly opposite of mine and if I had to work with you on something, you'd probably drive me batty. Equally true, I'd proabably drive you batty, too.
Here's why it's all wrong for me and mi casa:
Work --Like You Don't Need The Money: OMG. NEVER. I work like, well, not like I don't need the money. As a matter of fact, working like you don't need the money leads those of us like me who need the money and work like they do to work on your behalf WHICH ERKS THE HECK OUT OF ME! Okay, so that slipped through my mind as I drove over the mountain. As a matter of fact, I'd like to repaint that ridiculous, cutesy thing to say: "If you work like you don't need the money, you're hanging out. So, sign out and go home if you don't need the money." I bet I couldn't get all the cutesy fonts to say that. No one would buy it.
Love--Like You've Never Been Hurt: I will NEVER love like I've never been hurt. That, to me, is a sure fire way to get your tail burnt. Nope. Not this chick. I'll tell you how I'll love. I'll love like I've been hurt and your butt's lucky to still live to tell about it. (That is not just about my husband. We are happy and fine.) Sorry, it's the truth. That was so bad wasn't it. It's true though. I'm not down with loving like I've never been hurt. I've been stinkin' hurt, it's going to affect how I choose to love AND it's not going to be like I haven't.
Dance--Like No One Is Watching: bahahahahaaaaahaha. If you are dancing, you better bet somebody is watching. Maybe you should sing and only if no one is listening. That's what I'd do. The dancing--I'm not good at it, never have been, never will be. Here's how I'd repaint that: Dance--If You Can, Pick the songs if you can't.
What would have possessed me to buy that? Was it cheap? Was it the colors? Have I changed into a lesser of a carefree person? I suppose I'll think on that tomorrow as I pick up where I left off in the "Red Light Parade". Don't slam my door on your way out............:)
1 comment:
That's you.
Post a Comment